Some of the most dangerous days of the year for drivers happen between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day. Across the country last year, 891 persons were killed in drunken driving crashes during this time period.
That’s why during every holiday season—from November 1st through December 31st—MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Drivers) asks drivers to display a MADD red ribbon on your car. It’s a means to remind everyone that designating a non-drinking driver can save lives.
This holiday season Florida drivers have even more reasons to get with the program: statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show an increasing number of fatalities in drunk driving accidents, from a low of 672 in 2013, to 694 in 2014, to 788 in 2015, to an amazing 890 people killed in 2015—higher than any year since 2007.
Plus, don’t forget that DUI is an offense under Florida laws.
Any driver with blood alcohol (BAC) above .08 can be convicted, and the penalties are stiff:
- First conviction, $500-$2000 fine unless BAC exceeds .15, or a minor is in the vehicle in which case the fine will be between $2,000 and $4000
- Mandatory 50 hours of Community Service will be served, or an additional fine of $10.00 for each hour of requiredThe offense is proved by impairment of “normal faculties” or unlawful blood alcohol or breath alcohol level of .08 or above.
- The following information applies to those with their first conviction.
- Probation and incarceration to not exceed 1 year; imprisonment is at the court’s discretion
- Driver’s license to be revoked for a minimum of 180 days
And penalties go up for second and third convictions. Drinking and driving in Florida is NOT a good idea.
MADD’s Tie One On For Safety® started in 1986 and is MADD’s longest running public awareness project. The name is a double entendre, from the drinking phrase “tie one on.” MADD took that slang phrase for drinking and use it today to remind people that drinking and driving is a poor mix.
You can commit to eliminating drunk driving by:
- Create a home holiday party fundraiser for MADD at madd.org/diy.
- Distribute Tie One On for Safety ribbons, available for purchase at your local MADD office, found here.
- Always designate a non-drinking driver before any drinking begins
- Display a MADD “BEFORE the celebration begins to ensure everyone arrives home safely.
- Display a MADD Tie One On For Safety® red ribbon on your own vehicle
- For more safe party tips, visit here.
November and the holiday season is a great time to remind yourself of what is important to you, and make good decisions to hold onto it. Your loved ones are no doubt at the top of the list.
And if you or a loved one has been injured by a drunk driver, the attorneys at Thomas and Pearl want to speak to you.
$150 MILLION in verdicts and settlements
Thomas & Pearl attorneys have the skills and training, plus the financial resources necessary to conduct a thorough injury investigation. Eyewitness accounts, accident reconstruction, and medical testimony are all part of what our experienced attorneys will gather.
Ask about the more than $150M (MILLION) dollars in recent and past jury verdicts and settlements we have gained for our clients.
We’ll evaluate your case situation with you, develop a strategy to win or successfully negotiate the highest amount of compensation for you.
And you pay nothing unless we get that successful resolution for you.
Contact Thomas & Pearl at any time.